Environmental Services

Environmental Services is a division of Public Works that includes Zoning (Ordinance and Land Use Permits), Septic Systems, Feedlots, Solid Waste Regulation and Recycling, as well as Water Planning and Floodplain Management in Mower County.

If you have questions, or need some information?  email us at: zoning@co.mower.mn.us

NOTICE: Air Quality Alert

MPCA has lifted the Air Quality Alert for Mower and surrounding counties; Burning Permits can now be issued. 

Mower County Burning Permits are issued from Environmental Services through Mower County's GeoPermits service.  If you live in the City of Austin, please contact the Austin Fire Department for a Burning Permit.  For other incorporated areas, contact your local officials.  

GeoPermits Small Web Opens in new window

Payments can be made online or in person. We continue to accept payments at the office, by mail, or over the phone at the Public Works Building (1105 8th Ave NE, Austin) from 7a - 4p Monday - Friday.  You may call 507-437-7718 to arrange for payment.   Please note that a 2.5% service charge ($1.50 minimum) applies to all electronic transactions - online or by phone.  

Other available permit applications include 911 Addressing, Driveway/Access permits, Moving Permit (oversize/overwidth), with more to come!  An email address is required to initiate a permit request - please call our office for assistance if you do not have email or access to internet.  

Access the Environmental Services Map to view features of your property, see approximate parcel boundaries, or sketch your site drawing.  Many other maps and apps are available at the main GIS HUB page!

Environmental Services is the home for Planning Commission and Board of Adjustment/Appeals.  

Find past meeting Agendas and approved Minutes in the archives at the Agenda Center (also under the Board tab)

Current meetings are posted on the Notices page

2022 Calendar

2022 Public Hearing (planning commission and board of adjustment) Calendar