Veterans Health Administration
In October 1996, Congress passed Public Law 104-262, the Veterans' Health Care Eligibility Reform Act of 1996. This legislation paved the way for the creation of a medical benefits package - a standard enhanced health benefits plan available to all enrolled veterans. Like other standard health care plans, the Medical Benefits Package emphasizes preventive and primary care, offering a full range of outpatient and inpatient services.
Veterans Affairs (VA) places a priority on improved veteran satisfaction. Their goal is to ensure the quality of care and service you receive is consistently excellent, in every location, in every program. Under the medical benefits package, VA offers you, the veteran, a comprehensive health care plan that provides the care you need.
Our office will assist you in completing the application for medical benefits, VA Forms 10-10EZ. Please contact Mower County Veterans Services.
What are the Priority Groups?
Once you apply for enrollment (VA Form 10-10EZ), your eligibility will be verified. Based on your specific eligibility status, you will be assigned a priority group.
The priority groups are as follows, ranging from 1 to 8 with 1 being the highest priority for enrollment. Under the Medical Benefits Package, the same services are generally available to all enrolled veterans.
As of January 17, 2003, VA is not accepting new priority Group 8 veterans for enrollment (veterans fall into Priority Groups 8e and 8g.)
Priority Group 1
- Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated 50% or more disabling
Priority Group 2
- Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated 30% or 40% disabling
Priority Group 3
- Veterans who are former Prisoners of War (POWs)
- Veterans awarded the Purple Heart
- Veterans whose discharge was for a disability that was incurred or aggravated int he line of duty
- Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated 10% or 20% disabling
- Veterans awarded special eligibility classification under Title 38, U.S.C., Section 1151, "benefits for individuals disabled by treatment or vocational rehabilitation"
Priority Group 4
- Veterans who are receiving aid and attendance or housebound benefits
- Veterans who have been determined by VA to be catastrophically disabled
Priority Group 5
- Non-service-connected veterans non commensurable service connected veterans rated 0% disabled whose annual income and net worth are below the established VA Means Test thresholds
- Veterans receiving CA pension benefits
- Veterans eligible for Medicaid benefits
Priority Group 6
- Compensable 0% service-connected veterans
- World War 1 veterans
- Mexican Boarder War veterans
Veterans solely seeking care for disorders associated with:
- Exposure to herbicides while serving in Vietnam
- Exposure to ionizing radiation during atmospheric testing or during the occupation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- For any illness associated with service in combat in the war after the Gulf War or during a period of hostility after November 11, 1998
Priority Group 7
Veterans who agree to pay specified co-payments with income and/or net worth above the VA Means Test threshold and income below the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) geographic index:
- Sub priority A: Non-compensable 0% service-connected veterans who were enrolled in VA Health Care System on a specified date and who have remained enrolled since that date
- Sub priority C: Non-service-connected veterans who were enrolled in the VA Health Care System on a specified date and who have remained enrolled since that date
- Sub priority E: Non-compensable 0% service-connected veterans not included in Sub priority A
- Sub priority G: Non-service-connected veterans not included in sub priority C
Priority Group 8
Veterans who agree to pay specified co-payments with income and/or net worth above the VA Means Test Threshold and the HUD geographic index:
- Sub priority A: Non commensurable 0% service-connected veterans enrolled as of January 16, 2003 and who have remained enrolled since that date
- Sub priority C: Non-service-connected veterans enrolled as of January 16, 2003 and who have remained enrolled since that date
- Sub priority E: Non commensuable 0% service-connected veterans applying for enrollment after January 16, 2003
- Sub priority G: Non-service-connected veterans applying for enrollment after January 16, 2003