To apply for a passport book or passport card, you must have the following items:
- Passport application - completely filled out in black ink but not signed.
- Certified birth certificate and a copy of the front and back (not the hospital certificate) or previous U.S. Passport (for an adult only) or naturalization certificate.
- Bring along most current previous passport for adults and children.
- Valid driver's license (front and back copy of it also) or another form of current picture identification.
- Requisite fees- a check or money order is required for each passport application (these are the fees as of January 3, 2017 subject to change):
Age Regular Passport Book Passport Card Age 16 and over $130 $30 Age 15 and younger $100 $15
These fees are charged by the U.S. Department of State and payment must be in the form of a check or money order - no exceptions.
- A standard processing fee is $35 per application. This payment can be in the form of a money order, credit card, cash, or check (written to Mower County).
- For expedited service, the charge is an additional $60 made out to the U.S. Department of State.
All passport applicants, regardless of age, must be present to apply.
Passport photos can be obtained from the Mower County Recorder's office for $15 which includes sales tax. The photos can be taken anytime Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4 pm.
Passports for children 15 and under must have any parent listed on the birth certificate present to sign the application along with proper identification for those present.
Passports for children 16 to 17 need one parent present to sign the application along with proper identification.
The U.S. Department of State has released a video urging parents to apply early for their child's passport before the busy summer travel season.