The Elections Department serves more than 21,000 registered voters in the county. Responsibilities Include:
- Training municipal clerks and election judges in election law, rules and procedures.
- Directing the printing of all ballots and programming of all automatic tabulating and assistive voting equipment.
- Reporting all election results to the state of Minnesota.
- Administering absentee ballots and mail ballots.
- Maintaining all voter registration and voter history records for the county.
- Ensuring all campaign finance requirements are met.
- Maintaining all election equipment.
2022 Election Dates
State Primary Election and Special General Election - U.S. Congressional District 1 - Tuesday, August 9, 2022
Tuesday, August 9 is the State Primary Election. On a primary ballot, a voter is only allowed to vote for candidates of one political party for the partisan offices listed on the ballot. The voter cannot vote for candidates of different parties.
Unique to this year’s primary election is that on the back side of the state primary ballot will be the special general election for the vacancy in Minnesota Congressional District 1 of the U.S. House of Representatives. The vacancy was created when Representative Jim Hagedorn passed away in February. The top voter getter for each political party from the May 24 special primary election is listed on the ballot now.
State General Election - Tuesday, November 8, 2022